Monday 30 January 2023

And The Tide Turned On Me

 I swam out a way

I swam out, swam out, on that Summer day

I swam out without pause from that Winter's bay

I swam out, struck out, and caught the wave,


I swam out with hope but without thought,

That all my swimming may come to nought,

I swam out because fishes swim as they ought,

And because the sea, is the net in which I am caught,


I swam out as drawn, drawn into the sea,

And as I swam I drew the ocean into me,

And swimming and filling the vacancy

With vast open water and no destiny,


I swam out then, and I am swimming still,

And swimming and longing for the spill,

When the waters spill me, but not until,

They spill me on to new land, when sea's had it's will,


And in those early days of swimming,

The crossing never crossed my mind,

Of whether I'd get there or if I was winning

Or if I'd lost loosing and what would I find?

And somewhere halfway I know I'd like this to be over,

I know I may never see the other side

And the wave I was riding has gone into receding

Just like the turning of the tide,


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cushion of The Years (Shield against Apollyon)

  Tonight, at 51, With the duvet pulled up to my ears, I will play myself to sleep, With the cassette replacement, Of the tape my mother bou...