Friday 30 November 2012

I was cut up by a Christian

I was cut up by a Christian,
On the roundabout today,
I knew he was a brother,
By the fish upon display,

I was about to make a gesture,
Had halfway raised my fist,
But when I saw the sticker, I made out,
I was looking at the watch upon my wrist,

When I saw the piscean symbol,
I said hallelujah, Lord here comes another,
Opportunity for growth and,
To prefer the weaker brother.

He was obviously in a hurry,
On some errand for the Lord,
He sped off to this evangelistic emergency,
In his spanking brand new Ford,

But as is the way with these things,
At the lights, a half mile down the road
I caught up in the lane next to him,
All but ready to explode,

I prayed 'Lord I forgive him,
As you've forgiven me,
But please let me see him come undone,
Before eternity.'

I quickly searched the glove box
For that Tim Hughes CD,
The one the missus plays,
when the pastors round for tea,

I put it in the disk drive,
And turned it up quite loud,
I'll give you Happy day,
You wont be quite so proud,

I wound down the window,
Like he'd wound me up,
So he could hear the praises,
Pumping from my subs,

Then that look between us,
We both knew the score,
I flashed a smile that said 'I forgive you'.
(In your smug gits four by four),

I loudly revved my engine,
while praying to God, so blunt,
'If there' any kind of Justice,
You'll help me get in front',

How dare he behave this way,
Giving Christians a bad name,
by flashing the funny fish,
As he speeds off down the lane,

As the lights were stagnating,
Amber next in line,
My twitching foot twitched in time,
To Mr Hughes melodic rhyme,

Like the apostle Paul,
Waiting for Gods leading,
I held that clutch at biting point,
My ears were almost bleeding,

Then I thought I saw the change,
I thought  I saw it come,
The clutch slipped up, the gas went down,
I was shot off like a gun,

I got way in front, alright,
I got way out ahead,
He had been left standing but,
The lights had stayed on Red,

While I'm speaking of lights,
Its only fair to tell,
The blue ones I saw flashing,
Made me sick as well,

The officer was lovely,
As he gave me the fine,
"Word of advice", he said, "to a brother,
We Christians should tow the line."

"We should think twice now,
About displaying what we wish,
And I think that you, especially, Sir,
Should think twice about that fish."









1 comment:

  1. You should perform this one, Matt. It may need revising here and there to get it absolutely right; but I predict it will become very popular.

    Why not do a poetry reading, film it and put out on youtube?

    ReplyDelete

The Cushion of The Years (Shield against Apollyon)

  Tonight, at 51, With the duvet pulled up to my ears, I will play myself to sleep, With the cassette replacement, Of the tape my mother bou...