Friday 25 September 2020

Disgust Discussed

I look back now
At my 23 year old self
A roll of fat
Pinched
Less than an inch
Between my finger and thumb
Unclothed down to my bony bum
Naked before a Barcelona hotel mirror

And for the first time
Began to feel a distant sense of disgust
The slightest swell,
All is not well

And he disgusts me.

He disgusts me
Not for his paunch
But for the launch
On a projected trajectory
A tragic story
The magic inglory
Inglorious in ignorance
Ignorant in innocence

That his first step down the staircase
Will lead to the step that stumbles
Tumbles
Into a face-plant
Landing in the cellar
Of Disgust

That the truly disgusting thing
Is the presence of disgust itself.

If you had known
What that was
Or where it would take you
You'd have been grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cushion of The Years (Shield against Apollyon)

  Tonight, at 51, With the duvet pulled up to my ears, I will play myself to sleep, With the cassette replacement, Of the tape my mother bou...