Wednesday 16 October 2019

Bitter Pill

Like a fool,
I promised you everything,
A lover's declaration at ecstatic breathless heights,
And now I am equally blessed,
And cursed,
Like Jesus,
I thirst,
For the righteousness I wrongly thought was mine to give,
I cannot live,
On bread alone, Father,

Don't give me stone,
Or snake for fish,
I made a vow,
But  I also made a wish,

For you,
To come,
To me,

Daddy,
Don't let me down,
Don't watch me drown,
Mill stone or not,
Your curse is better than your silence,
Your punishment and violence,
(I know you heard my cry once),
Is better than my kindness,

So I eat this stone,
In faith that it is your bread
If my heart be dead,
You can make it live again.



M Joseph Burt (18.07.2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cushion of The Years (Shield against Apollyon)

  Tonight, at 51, With the duvet pulled up to my ears, I will play myself to sleep, With the cassette replacement, Of the tape my mother bou...