Sunday 20 October 2019

When I Was a Child

When I was a child,
I knew,
How to protect myself,
In make believe,
In solitary imaginings, new incarnations,
And  beginnings,

A seal.
A tiger.
A polar bear,

Robin Hood,
Mowgli,
Tarzan,

Among other creatures,,
There was no incongruity,
Within this gratuity,
Of pretence,

It was real,
One hundred per cent,

No division between dream and waking,
But now, the nightmare of awake,
Encroaches on boarders that should never be crossed,
Invading my dreams,
Poisoning,

The fantasist, I must insist,
Has tasted the poison,
And there's no going back,
He must die,
(And anyway, who am I?)




M Joseph Burt (13.06.2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cushion of The Years (Shield against Apollyon)

  Tonight, at 51, With the duvet pulled up to my ears, I will play myself to sleep, With the cassette replacement, Of the tape my mother bou...