Sunday 20 October 2019

Catherine Graydon's Hand

I wish I could have held,
Catherine Graydon's hand again,
Stared at Melanie McCloud,
Whilst others read aloud,

One more time,

To sit topless,
Barefoot,
In the Derwent,
With Ruth Gray,
With her went,
My childhood dreams,
Of romance,

She grew up,
Became sensible,
And so should my dreams,

And so,
Should I,

But somewhere deep down,
Childhood refuses to die out,
It holds on to the coat-sleeves of time,
Stamps it's feet,
Incomplete,

The changing of the Guard is hard,
From boy to man,
from was to am,
And the essence of the dream,
Remains a theme,
That refuses to stay out of my story,

Escape,
Into imagined landscapes,
Of love




M Joseph Burt (July 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cushion of The Years (Shield against Apollyon)

  Tonight, at 51, With the duvet pulled up to my ears, I will play myself to sleep, With the cassette replacement, Of the tape my mother bou...