Wednesday 6 May 2020

Let Us Be Lovers


Let us be lovers, you said,

Let us be intimate,

Let me inside your head,

Let me into your darkest thoughts

Hear mine,

Hear mine,

Really hear,

Listen, my love

Lean in to my love,

Incline your ear,

Hear mine as I speak,

In a whisper

That can shake mountains

Shake foundations,

Listen little man,

Let there be light,



The light will come slowly at first,

Try and squint as you might,

Gradually appearing on the horizon,

As things lost in the darkness,

Are returned to your sight,

You will bare be aware,

It is now daytime,

No longer the night,

Translated, out of darkness

To light,


I've been so lost,
I said,

Though I know I'm still sleeping,

Still aching and dreaming,


And I don't know why,


Listen my love,

I told you, we’ve married our fortunes together,

You nestle into my coat,

Never mind the weather,

Have a look in my bag,

See anything there that you like?


What’s mine is now yours,

And what was once yours,

Belongs to me


All of it?

Yes,

All of it.


And the train


Clacks on,

And the fields fly by,

And I turn towards them


And smile,

And sigh













No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cushion of The Years (Shield against Apollyon)

  Tonight, at 51, With the duvet pulled up to my ears, I will play myself to sleep, With the cassette replacement, Of the tape my mother bou...